Thursday, September 17, 2009

Spotlight book: The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch



As we all know (unless you've been living in a cave), Randy Pausch died last year from Pancreatic cancer after been given only a few months to live.

Turning his death sentence into a Bestselling book and lecture, Randy, a college professor, died leaving his 3 children and wife with more than most parents are able to dream about leaving their loved ones when they die.

I decided to put down my third Twilight book and read "The Last Lecture" after Josh hinted that it would do me some good. I'm so happy that I did. I've never read a book that taught me so many life lessons and excellent tips on how to work with people the right way. He also talks about our childhood dreams and how no matter what, we should try to achieve them.



"Just because you're in the driver's seat, doesn't mean you have to run people over," he says when talking about having the upper hand as an employer or in your personal relationships. "Play fair." Chapter 35 is all about steps in teamwork, things we should all do daily to be happy and make things run smoothly in our workplace even though others aren't doing the same thing.

When talking about his daughter in the book and all women, he suggests not to listen to what men say, to pay attention to what they do. EVERY woman should learn from this. Often men will say “but I love you,” “you mean the world to me,” “I want to be with you forever.” Oh yeah??? Don’t say it, do it! I’m very lucky. I'd rather my significant other never say anything and just do it, ya know? He makes my job at doing the same VERY easy.

Randy giving his "Last Lecture."

Another quote and by far my favorite, "We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." I sure do my share of complaining, but I needed this quote to remind me that "hey, suck it up and turn it into something positive." No matter what it is!

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." Another good one!

I sure wish I had time to blog about the entire book but that wouldn't leave you wanting more. I'll be honest, I was crying by page 7, didn't cry for a while after that and then cried some more later. The book is really brutally honest about the way we behave and treat each other. I truly do believe that every human being should read it (or watch the actual lecture) and since finishing it I can honestly say I've tried to follow some of its important examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment